sâmbătă, 23 iulie 2011

George Orwell, 1984

I have been reading this dystopian novel for the last 3 days, and I must say I really, really like it!!!! I find it odd the way Orwell could imagine such a mixed-up, sick society based on his imagination and his feeble knowledge of the totalitarian regimes. As a representative-citizen of a former communist country, Romania, I could somewhat relate to some of the manipulation techniques that Orwell depicts here and that my government used back then. I remember queueing for milk, bread, being given ratios for oil, butter, flour, the propaganda on TV, the big, lavishing parades on the 23rd of August, each year, the lies that they were feeding my family with...and I realised we were THERE, living in a wronged world, being continuously surveilled, controlled. Madness!!!!
Unfortunately, 22 years after the Revolution that brought about the long-sought freedom, people are dreaming about THOSE AWFUL DAYS, wishing that they could re-live them, considering them better...What???? And I wonder whether we deserve everything that we have and should cherish. Because there is no other freedom than that of the mind, soul and thought.
Coming up next: "1984"- analysis of context, themes, symbols, motifs, characters, with a short summary and some references found on the Internet that should help you study thoroughly. But first, promise that you will read it...it's really worth it!!

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu